Progressive slots stand as among the most widespread form of slot machines made available to gamers in both land-based and online casinos. As suggested by the name, the jackpot amount that is offered in the gameplay keeps on growing rather than being fixed. This growth is facilitated by the number of players indulging in the said slot. Each time a gamer strikes a winning combination, a portion of their payout is taken out and included in the jackpot, keeping it ever growing. In most cases, a tenth of every dollar is the amount deducted. Once a gamer manages to win the amount, the jackpot gets back to square one and starts accumulating again.
Progressive slots were not introduced into the market until in 1986 when International Game Technologies made their first progressive release, Megabucks. The slot games within the United States were linked using phone cables. The software developer set the starting point of the jackpot at one million dollars and funded it the first time. However, ever since, gamers have been funding the pot with their wagers. This slot became an instant sensation that had thousands of players indulging in the game. The jackpot was won the next year, and it stood at well over four million dollars.
Progressive Slot Games Types
Progressive slots come in different kinds, but they all carry the same fundamental element of a growing jackpot amount depending on the number of gamers. Here are the types of progressive jackpot slots available in casinos:
- Stand-Alone jackpots. These slots are not connected to any jackpot network. The amount deducted from the player’s winnings is added to a jackpot that is specific to the respective slot only. The highest paying icons act as the triggers for the jackpot amount. The jackpot total is usually displayed on the slot screen by a meter. These jackpots are acquired more often than other progressive slot jackpots.
- In-House jackpots. Also known as local linked slots or pooled jackpots, these pots involve more than one slot machine within a casino. A gambling destination can link a couple of their slot machines where numerous players indulging in different games contribute to the huge jackpot amount. This amount does not go as high as millions, but it is much higher than the stand-alone ones.
- Wide Area Network jackpots. These jackpots have the same qualities as the pooled ones, but they cover a much broader area than the in-house progressive jackpots. These payouts may accumulate from slot machines linked across an entire province or state. They can also cover numerous casinos that offer slots from a specific provider. Such wide coverage allows them to accumulate as high as millions, offering the highest payouts in the casino business. However, the involvement of so many players brings the odds of cashing out the amount next to impossible.
Terms of Participation
No complicated conditions are put in place regarding progressive jackpot involvement. However, most slots require one to place the maximum possible stake to have a chance at the jackpot. The height of the bet is dependent on the slot being played, with some going as high as nine hundred dollars.
Best Progressive Jackpot Slots
Numerous slots come with a progressive slot option, so it is important for gamers to know how to go for the best one there is. First, one should go for a casino that offers withdrawal packages that are convenient for the aimed win. Some casinos have harsh limits on jackpot withdrawals that could see one being paid out over a couple of years.
The best ones will come with a payout that happens at a go or a package that does not see the payment of the amount stretch out for too long. Additionally, one should ensure that the payout options provided are compatible with their area of residence.
The gambler should also weight the location they play at to see if it suits their aims. If one is aiming for a big win, they should indulge in pooled slots that cover a much broader area since the amount contributed is bound to be high. On the other hand, better odds are provided by pooled slots that involve only a small number of gamers.
Popular Progressive Slots
There are hundreds of progressive jackpots available on the online platform, and some of the most enjoyed include:
- 88 Fortunes. A production of Bally Software Company, this progressive slot is a fusion of pokies and slot machine play. This game has become so popular due to its provision of not only one but four progressive jackpots. The jackpot round, activated by the wild icon, offers twelve gold coins where the gamer has to reveal three. Depending on the combo acquired, the player can walk away with either a mini, minor, major, or grand jackpot.
- Mega Moolah. This slot is undeniably one of the highest standing progressive slots online, with its mega jackpot going higher than three million pounds. Like 88 Fortunes, this game comes with four progressive jackpots labeled mini, minor, major, and mega. Participating in the pot will require the placement of the highest possible wager.
- Hot Shot Slot. Microgaming developed this slot with the theme surrounding baseball. It carries one of the most slot payouts with one of them being a pretty progressive jackpot. The jackpot is stand-alone and is only affected by the gamer playing it at the time. The maximum wager is required to be eligible for winning the amount.
Casinos with Progressive Slots
Seeing that progressive games have garnered a massive following across the globe, most gambling destinations have made it a point to make the widely available. Some of the best casinos that come with these slot games include:
- Karamba Casino;
- Jackpot City Casino;
- Sloty Casino;
- Slots Magic Casino;
- Thrills Casino;
- Golden Spins Casino;
- Aladdin’s Gold Casino;
- 777 Casino, etc;
The type of progressive slot available will depend on the specific site. In the case of Wide Area Network jackpots, the amount is the same in all involved gaming sites. The jackpot is put on display on the home screen of the casino offering it.
The availability of progressive slots is dependent on the territory the providing software developer is allowed to operate. Even so, these games are widely available in the UK, New Zealand, South Africa, and Canada where they face a high demand.