A jackpot is, simply put, a prize. Jackpots are probably the oldest feature in casino games, even the first slot machine ever manufactured contained a special jackpot prize. They are not specific to slot games either, almost all casino games offer this feature to its players in some ways. However, there are two types of jackpots in slot games:
- Fixed Jackpot: This is a fixed amount and can be won by landing a specific combination of symbols on reels. For example, in most slot games, landing five wild symbols on a pay line will award you with the jackpot amount. Or, you need to complete a special bonus game to be able to win the jackpot. Values are usually low in fixed jackpots, mostly up to 5.000 coins.
- Progressive Jackpots: The “crème-de-la-crème” of jackpots. The jackpot value increases a small time with each game until a player wins the jackpot value. In some games, multiple pools are linked together and form one large progressive jackpot. For example, “Marvel Jackpot” consists of all Marvel slot games linked together. This type of progressive jackpots reaches amazing values in a short time because multiple players are contributing to the pool. To win the accumulated amount, you still need to land specific symbols on reels in a specific combination.
How Progressive Jackpot Slots Work
A slot machine that has a progressive jackpot is one that accumulates money for the grand prize. It is called progressive because the amount is not fixed. The way it works is simple: the machine takes a percentage of your bet and adds it to the pool or pot. Every time a player spins and fails to land the jackpot combination, the machine increases the pot money.
How to Win
The only way to win a progressive pot is by landing the slot’s required symbols. Some Video slots need you to land five symbols on a pay line, while some would require you to land winning combinations in succession. Do not be surprised if some online slots need you to trigger a bonus round first before giving you an opportunity to unlock win the grand prize.
How to Play
Start the game by toggling your bet per line. The bet button is usually found at the bottom of the screen. Depending on the game, you can either bet a currency value or a credit. For currency values, you simply have to choose how much money you want to wager per line. Usually, the range is between £0.01 and £1.
For a credit-based bet, you need to set the value of each coin. The typical range is £0.01 to £1. The net step to take is to determine how many coins to wager per line. The total stake for a spin is equal to the total credits x total active lines. The last thing to do is to spin the reels by clicking on the Spin button.
Progressive Jackpots Slots Wins
Here are some cool facts about people who won big online slot jackpots from:
- Elmer Sherwin – won the biggest prize twice. One was for $4.6 million on Megabucks in Las Vegas. The other was for the same game in the same location for $21.1 million.
- Cynthia Jay – won $35 million in the slot Megabucks, also in Las Vegas.
- Jon Heywood – a British national who won £13.2 million in Mega Moolah in 2015.
- Anonymous Player – won $10.4 AUD in the Dark Night slot.
Huge jackpot slot winners usually want to remain anonymous to protect their identities.
TOP Big Slot Machines Jackpot Review
- Wheel of Fortune – this game is a slot developed by IGT. There are 720 ways for a player to win, and it pays 10,000x the player’s line bet. The way to win the huge payout is to land the game title symbol five times on a pay line.
- Buffalo – this slot machine is making a buzz in the casino community. It is currently available on cabinet only. What this means is you cannot access it online. You need to find a land-based casino to play it. This game is from Aristocrat, and it offers a jackpot that can reach up to one million units.
Real Money Vs Free Jackpot Slots
The main features that should be considered while playing slots with the jackpots are the next:
- RTP – this word represents return-to-player rate. It is the percentage of money that the slot machine will pay out to the player over the long term. Higher RTP translates to more money released by the machine.
- If the RTP of the game is 95%, what this means is that it will pay out £95 for every £100 bet it took from a player. However, this does not mean that it will pay £95 to you. The £95 will be paid to the lucky players who land winning combos.
- Volatility – it is a measurement of how often a slot will land winning combinations. If you think of a coin with two sides, the volatility is low because you are choosing only one side out of two. In penny slots, the volatility is calculated in relation to the number of symbols and the number of reels.
- Chances – chances of winning are the same with odds. In a flip coin, the odds are 50%. In a slot machine, the typical odds of landing a five-symbol combo are 0.032%.
Hitting the Jackpot with Progressive Slot Machines
Hitting the biggest pot is progressive, and it is a tough proposition. It is possible, but the stakes are high because the odds are also low. Usually, your chances of landing a five-symbol combination are 0.032%. But this does not mean that you will land the grand prize symbol. The 0.032% only means that you can land five low-value symbols, but not necessarily the one that will yield the highest prize.
Each jackpot slot game contains another screen on its interface to show the jackpot amount. Basically, if that amount is stationary and doesn’t change, you are playing a fixed jackpot game. But if the amount constantly raises, that is a progressive jackpot machine. Of course, it is believed that choosing the progressive over the normal jackpot is the wisest idea – but trust us, in most games, it is not. The winning odds of a progressive jackpot game is significantly lower.
Let’s give an example: the biggest progressive jackpot game ever known is MegaBucks by IGT. Yes, it pays as high as 33.000.000 USD. But do you know the odds of winning that amount? 1 in 49,836,032. On the other hand, there is a small fixed jackpot game by the same company, called Double Diamond. It contains only a total of 2.500 USD jackpot value, but your odds of winning that amount is 1 in 46,656. In other words, don’t let the bigger numbers distract you – it is about the odds. You can find the best casino slot games with the highest jackpot payouts on this page and play them for free.
Penny Slots with Jackpots
Fruit machines or penny slots that you find in beer houses and clubs do not yield large jackpots. The reason behind this is that only one person can play at any given time. The machine is also programmed or designed to yield a fixed amount. In online slots, thousands of players from different parts of the world can play at any given time. Because of this volume, the game developers know that they can earn a lot of money and share a percentage to the lucky winner. Also, penny slots cannot be programmed to yield progressive prizes. Manual slot machines do not have the important electronic components that can add money to a pot.
Playing in the UK
In the United Kingdom, a casino or game aggregator can only operate after securing a licence from the United Kingdom Gambling Commission. Here are some of the most popular slots that you can play from the UK.
- Mega Moolah
- Age of the Gods
- Immortal Romance
Live Slots Jackpots
Winning the jackpot in a land-based casino is the same as the online versions of the game. The best casino slot machines are often interlinked to online versions. What this means is that a person may be playing Starburst in Las Vegas while another one is playing it from home in London.
Both players need to land the winning combination to bag the progressive jackpot. Note that you can only win the biggest ever if you also bet the maximum amount. Should you land the winning symbols for the jackpot, but you only bet a small amount, you will only win a proportion of the grand prize.
Best Online Casinos to Play At
Here are some casinos that are focused in slot games only.
- Slotty Vegas
- All British Casino
No Deposit Free Slot Games with Jackpots
If you want to play free jackpot slot machine games, you need to look for casinos that offer no deposit bonuses. Casinos like this offer free money to newly registered players. Some will give you 20 free spins, while some will give you money, which you can use to bet on specific slot machines. You have to know that this money comes with rules. For one, you cannot withdraw it right away. It also has wagering requirements.
A wagering requirement is expressed in multiplier values, which is equal to the amount of money that you need to wager before the casino lets you withdraw your bonus and your winnings. If the wagering requirement is 30X and you received £20, it means that you need to bet a total of £600 from that bonus money before you can withdraw.
Also, you need to meet that wagering requirement within a certain period. Most casinos set a 30-day deadline. Failure to meet it results to voiding all your bonus funds, including your winnings from it. Even if you have £20 to wager, you cannot use this full amount to bet. Casinos will usually limit the amount of money you can wager per spin. Typically, you are limited to £5 per spin.
And we should not forget that there is also a thing called a game contribution. Not all slot machines contribute the same percentage to your wagering requirement. If the slot machine you are playing only contributes 50%, only £2.5 will be deducted from the £600 for every £5 that you stake.
PC & Mobile: iPhone, Android, iPad
Today, most slot machines are accessible in any device. Game developers have a mobile-first policy when designing games. They need to do this to expand their reach, and to make it easier for players to access the games:
- Apple iPad;
- Apple iPod;
- Apple iPhone;
- Samsung, Nokia and any smartphones with internat browsers support.
Remember, the better your smartphone is – the faster games will be loaded. The most instant play slots are jn HTML 5 that makes it loading fast.
Tips & Tricks
The odds of winning jackpot in Vegas slots are small. There are games where you can win a big pot on currency terms, like £1,000,000. However, you need to stake £100 per spin. A game like this is a cash guzzler. Since your odds of landing a 5-symbol combo is only 0.032%, spin 3,000x to have an opportunity to land a jackpot combo. The cost of your total stake is around £300,000. One of the best tips to implement is only to play slots that pay in multiplier terms. There are slot machines that offer 10,000x your line bet if you land a five-symbol combo. At this rate, you will win the same proportion of the jackpot prize regardless of your bet size.
No Deposit Bonuses & Free Spins
Some casinos offer free spins instead of free money if you register. After the registration, you can play the free slots until such time that your free spins are depleted. Like the bonus money, your winnings are also subject to the casino’s terms and conditions.
Here are some of the best jackpot slots from each developer. Check out the demo versions to see if you like the game.
- Aristocrat – Buffalo Grand
- Bally – Lightning Jackpot
- iSoftbet – Lucky Lady
- Konami – Engine Ablaze
- Novomatic – From Dusk Till Dawn
- IGT – Megabucks
- Microgaming – Mega Moolah
- Yggdrasil – Ozwin’s Jackpots
- Netent – Hall of Gods
- Playtech – Beach Life
- WMS – King Midas