Retro themed slot machine games fall in the same category as classic slots. They are produced to service gamblers who like to reminisce about the days when slot machines were physical indulgences in brick and mortar casinos. Even so, some of the productions in this category have been known to mash some aspects of modern slots such as five reels as opposed to the classic three.
They have also incorporated other features such as bonus games, wilds, and scatter icons, which did not make appearances back in the day. The fact that retro does not go out of style and has been used to define classy in numerous industries such as film, fashion, and even gaming has allowed slots bearing this theme to boom over the years.
Various aspects can be looked at to tell whether a slot game is really retro. These aspects are tied to what was popular back in the day, and some of them include:
- Burst of colors. The retro age is known for a lot of things, but none of them comes close the mix and match frenzy that had taken over during the time. Nearly all business that was affected by this used numerous colors in particular aspects of the products they sold. Therefore, slot machine producers use the same feature to send gamblers back to that age.
- Retro cars. The retro age was quite unique in the car production business. Automotive companies drew the inspiration of their car development from cars that were developed in the past instead of giving them a futuristic look. It may have been weird to some, but looking back it made this age even more special. In retro slot games, one is likely to spot BMWs, Ford Mustangs, and Beetles that bear such makes.
- Comic books. Comic books reached massive popularity heights back in the retro age, and they have never looked back since. Seeing that they serve as inspiration for some of the most popular superheroes such as Spider-Man, Super Man, Batman, and Wonder Woman, they are bound to be a big part of the entertainment business.
- Cartoons. Most of the gamblers who make up a big percentage of slot gamers grew up watching cartoons in the 1980s and 1990s. Hence, a lot of retro cartoon slots have been developed to trigger nostalgic feelings of the times that were. Some of these cartoons that have inspired numerous slot games include The Flintstones, Bugs Bunny, Garfield and Friends, Star Wars, MASK, and Foofur.
These features can be represented in the backdrop of the game while others can be included in the reels as characters. Those that are used as slot icons come with some of the highest paying combinations.
On top of the bonuses and promotions offered by casinos players also get to enjoy bonus offers within the games they play. These rewards remain constant in all the casinos that offer the game. Some of them include:
- Gamble feature. The gamble feature lets the player take a chance at double their winnings by letting them guess the correct color of the presented playing card. A wrong guess, however, takes away all the winnings.
- Free Spins. These offers let the gambler spin the reels without anything having to be taken out of their casino account. Even though a real money wager is not required to play, the winnings that are made are actual cash. Aside from money, players can also win other bonuses during freebies rounds such as multipliers and additional free spins.
- Multipliers. Once a multiplier is acquired, it multiplies the wager placed or winnings made by the amount stated on the bonus. These offers can be given in the base game by forming specific combinations or in other bonus rounds such as free spins and mini-games.
- Mini-games. These are small gaming rounds that are found within the main game. They are included as a way to break the monotony of the base game and give the player a chance at more bonus offers.
Retro Slot Machine Providers
Numerous online gaming software developers have involved themselves in the production of retro slot games seeing that they are ever high on the popularity list. Some of those that have provided successful takes on the theme include:
- Net Entertainment;
- Amaya Gaming, etc.;
Popular Retro Slot Games
Below are some of the retro slots that are worth mentioning thanks to the high gaming quality they provide:
- Roaring Twenties;
- Mad Orchestra;
- Jack Hammer;
- Twin Spin;
- Vintage Win;
- Luna Park;
- Flame Busters, etc.;
Some of these slots such as Streaming Reels, Diner of Fortune, and Babushkas carry lucrative jackpot offers that have helped earn the some of the largest fan bases online.
Despite having an appearance of the 1980s, most of these retro slots can be played on mobile devices. Depending on the preference of the gambler and the provision of the software provider, this can be done in either download or instant play mode.