When gaming in old slots, there are characteristics that one is bound to run into in a couple of them. These aspects are used to categorize them into the class of traditional slot games. Some of these features include:
- Fruits. This aspect can be found in so many old slots that it has been used to categorize them in a category of their own dubbed fruit slot machines. The icons featured in these slots are fruits of various kinds, such as watermelons, cherries, strawberries, lemons, oranges, grapes, etc. They come with various payouts that are listed in each slot’s paytable.
- Liberty Bell. This icon was present in the first slot machines that were played in the 1890s. Therefore, it only makes sense to include it in slots that represent the classic slots. The liberty bell was used as the highest paying character, and most online slot developers have maintained this policy in the classic games they produce that feature the icon.
- Three Reels. Three reels are as classic as a slot machine gets. In the golden days, slots came with only three reels and a single win line that runs through the middle reel. Therefore, most classic slots have been developed to service those looking to game in a classy and familiar slot similar to those found in brick and mortar casinos. However, some classic slots, such as Cleopatra, feature five reels even though they fall in the classic three-reel category in location-based casinos.
All slots are developed with bonus features that help boost the winnings a player acquires as they play. These bonuses may differ from one game to the next, but some remain similar in most of them. These are the likes of:
- Free Spins. Also known as freebies, these bonuses allow the player to spin the reels without being taken out of their account. They are usually triggered by matching icons that are dedicated to this purpose.
- Gamble feature. This bonus is triggered once a player acquires a win. The player is presented with a card facing down, and they have to guess its colour. Giving the correct answer earns the players double their winnings, while the wrong answer will strip them of what they have won.
- Pick me a bonus. Like the gamble feature, this bonus is triggered by acquiring wins. The gamer is presented with a couple of hidden items on the screen and chooses one of them. The item will then reveal what the player has won. This bonus can also be found in mini-games.
Traditional Slot Game Developers
Being the oldest category of slot games, there is no doubt that hundreds of online gaming software developers have taken their time in their development. However, a few of them have managed to provide such good takes of this kind of slots that they have remained relevant in an age where new is regarded as best. Some of these developers that have made prolific names for themselves include:
- International Gaming Technologies;
- Rival Gaming;
- Merkur Gaming;
- Net Entertainment;
- Williams Interactive;
- Play’N GO;
- NextGen Gaming;
- Pan play Gaming;
- NYX Interactive, etc.;
Popular Old Slot Games
Some of the classic slots that have managed to maintain a large following over the years include:
- Wheel of Wealth;
- Double Triple Chance;
- Firestorm 7;
- Stars n Stripes;
- Irish Gold;
- Mystery Joker;
- Neptune’s Kingdom;
- Honey Bee;
- Football Mania;
- Golden Dragon;
- Minted Sevens;
Jackpots offer the highest payouts in all casino games and are used as a factor to attract gamblers to try out a slot; the more significant the amount offered in the jackpot, the bigger the slot following. Some of the old slots that feature jackpots, and big ones at that, include:
- Jackpot 6000;
- Double Diamond;
- Break Da Bank;
- Scorching Sevens;
- Jackpot Jester 5000;
- Triple Diamond;
- Mega Jack;
- Triple Profits;
- Fruit Mania, etc. ;
Some slot machines have fixed jackpots, while others, such as Break Da Bank, have progressive ones that can go up to millions. Even though most of these slot games were released before the age of mobile gambling, most of the online gaming software developers behind their production have made a point of making them available on mobile devices.
Some of the operating systems that these slots have been made compatible with include Blackberry, Windows, iOS, Linux, and Android. Therefore, gamblers can access these games using tablets and smartphones that run on these systems in either download or no download mode. These options’ availability is dependent on the producer behind the game.