Gambling Legislation in South Africa
All forms betting in SA were heavily prohibited since 1673. However, 1964 the Gambling Act of South Africa changed things up a bit by allowing wagering on horse races alone. Thankfully, after the new democratic government was formed in 1994, all other forms of betting were made legal. As we speak, gambling is controlled by the National Gambling Amendment of 2008. Each of the country’s nine provinces has specific boards for issuing gambling licenses.
Popular Betting Games Available in SA
Well, things here are not very different from the rest of the world. All types of casino games are available with slot machine options being the most popular. Some of the biggest hits for the natives are:
- Aladdin’s Wishes
- Caesar’s empire
- Bubble Bubble
- Cash Bandits.
Fruit machines, on the other hand, are not as so popular in South Africa but there are a few classics which are enjoyed by gamers. These include:
- Arabian Nights
- Super Lucky Frog.
Deposit Methods Available in South Africa
There is a vast range of payment methods that are accepted for the convenience of SA players. Credit and debit card options like VISA and MasterCard are the most common. However, e-wallets like UKash, PayPal Entropay, Skrill, and Neteller are equally popular due to their transaction speeds. Some of the benefits that make card and e-wallet payments popular are such as:
- They are easy to use
- Have high safety standards and are protected by top-notch encryption
- Deposits are loaded instantly, and withdrawals are processed within 24 hours
- They support the SA Rand as well as many other international currencies
- Minimal transaction fees.
Bank wire transfers are also accepted although they aren’t as popular as all these other methods. This is mainly because of the slow transaction speed as well as steep charges per transaction. You should know that before you are allowed to use any payment option in SA casinos, some conditions have to be fulfilled. They are:
- You must be a South African citizen
- The details of your account should match those of your payment options
- All players have to be over 18 years old
- Each transaction may come with fees.
Top-Rated SA Casinos
If you have been searching for an online betting site in SA where you can play using the native Rand currency, you shouldn’t struggle anymore. Below, we have outlined the best sites where you can enjoy yourself using ZAR and the benefits of gaming there.
Slotty Vegas Casino
A slot heavy casino where you can spin the reels nonstop without getting bored. When you play here the benefits to be enjoyed are such as:
- Withdrawals take a shorter time of up to 4 hours
- It has a wide range of games you could choose from
- The games here are instant- play versions
- Now withdrawal limits.
Whether you are a fan of casino games or you are more of a sports fanatic, this should be your go-to betting site in SA. The advantages of spending your real money at Betat casino are:
- The games played here are of plug and play type
- Friendly and effective customer support
- It is fully compatible across all mobile platforms
- Fair and transparent with independent RNG audits on a regular basis
- Remarkable bonuses from the word go.
As one of the oldest betting sites for South African players, there are a lot of merits for signed up members. For example:
- Different types of games under a range of categories
- Powered by some of the most powerful software platforms
- 128 Bit SSL encryption technology for 100% safety
- It supports many different languages.
This is yet another amazing gaming site that boasts of great services to all its members. Once you are registered, you will have the following benefits:
- Player rewards starting from a solid welcome bonus
- Supports a variety of payment methods accepting the Rand
- Immersive live dealer section for real-time betting action
- Exceptional mobile compatibility.
Powered by NetEnt and Microgaming, you can expect nothing but a cutting-edge experience once you land in the lobby of this website. Some of the many advantages of gaming here include:
- Instant play games for easier and faster entertainment
- Compatible with lots of devices, from PCs to tablets as well as smartphones.
- Professional customer care support available round the clock
- Airtight security reinforced by SSL encryption.
You should, however, note that the minimum and maximum deposit that you can load in these sites will usually rely on the payment option that you use. For withdrawals, on the other hand, anything lower than 300 Rand cannot be withdrawn, and it may be higher for wire transfers. In most cases, you can cash out between 75,000 ZAR and up to over 2 million ZAR depending on where you are gaming.
Is Using ZAR Cost Effective as Compared to Other Currencies?
While betting using other currencies in SA such as the Euro, Dollar or the Sterling Pound, there must be a conversion fee that is incurred during the exchange. However, when you stick to the South African Rand, there is no other extra cost since it’s the local currency. So, it is relatively cheap.
Software Platforms That Power SA Casinos
To stay on top of their competition, online gambling sites here are powered by some of the world’s highest-rated software developers. They include;
- Aristocrat: Though centered in Australia, this developer is responsible for some of the biggest hits for players in SA. Some of the most popular casinos powered by Aristocrat are Prime Casino and Reel Island.
- Wager Works (IGT): Due to the reputation of the framework of its games, IGT also supplies many games in different casinos based here. To enjoy their games, you should play a few rounds at Casumo or Kaboo Casino.
- Microgaming: Well, we all know how famous this platform is. Being able to produce some of the best games across the globe, it’s not a surprise that you’ll find its games everywhere. Take a few spins at Play OJO and 888 casinos to feel the Microgaming thrill.
- Novomatic: This among the most popular game providers in South African gambling sites. Some of its most exciting hits can be played at 888 Casino among other top-rated sites.
- Net Entertainment: They are one of the most developed software entities in the online gaming industry and are known to be among the first to venture into 3D games which can be found at Punt and All Slots casinos.
- Playtech: Another big name especially when it comes to the creation of exciting slot machine games with interactive themes. Some of their best titles can be found at 888 and Slotty Vegas casinos.
- Williams Interactive: Initially, they were only based in the UK, but they have started providing software in gaming sites from other countries including South Africa. They are known for their exquisite games that can easily keep you glued to the screen for hours non-stop.
As one of the fastest growing countries in Africa, SA offers a rich online gambling space where you can enjoy yourself without any issues as long as you play in a secure, registered website. For the most thrilling experience, sign up at our recommended gaming sites, and you’ll be welcomed by hefty matched bonuses and free spins as a new player package. All our picks also have sweet ongoing bonuses for all players, and thus, you can be sure of constant rewards as you keep playing.
We also like the fact that casinos in the southernmost part of Africa offer a variety of deposit and withdrawal options for maximum flexibility. However, ensure that your account details and financial details match to prevent any issues when it comes to cashing out. Additionally, players are only allowed to withdraw via the same method that they used to deposit. Feel free to share this review with all your online betting friends, and they’ll surely thank you later. Happy Betting!