Apart from football, Spain’s other pastime is gambling. Research conducted in 2016 revealed that Spanish nationals spend more money on betting than any other country in the world. An estimated 15% of net household income, which is approximately an aggregate 1.9 billion Euros nationally and 480 Euros per head, is utilized for gambling every year in Spain. From sports betting, lotteries, casinos, greyhound racing, and horse racing, all forms of gambling can easily be found in Spain. The most popular is the lottery, which is run with the help of local charity organizations and the Catholic church.
Far from the lottery, the territory of Spain is the home of 20 land-based casinos, one being on the offshore Spanish island of Gibraltar. The casinos open their doors from around 5 pm to 4 am with a strict smart casual dress code. All visitors must produce proof of identification, most often their passports, to distinguish regular punters from professional gamblers.
The emergence of industry regulations and a customary business norm in Spain is a testimony to the long-standing good graces that gambling has enjoyed. This is largely because of the lax legal atmosphere that gambling establishments operate under. Save for online gambling, all forms of gambling have been legal since 1977 despite national regulation only beginning in 2012. 17 indigenous communities oversaw all forms of gambling.
Today, Spain is a gambling destination with 34 cities offering a total of 53 licensed facilities. The capital, Madrid, is the proud host of Spain’s largest casino, Casino Gran Madrid Torrelodones.
The Spanish Legal Online Casinos
The Gambling Act regulates all manner of national gaming operations through electronic, interactive, and technological means. Therefore, any form of gaming that is done through the internet, mobile phones, landlines, or any other interactive means where physical entities have a peripheral role fall within the district of the Act. This, in effect, provided for the regulation of online establishments that have since clamored in thousands to corner the Spanish market.
Under the Act, all gambling operators must obtain a non-transferrable license from the National Gambling Commission of Spain, which comes with the condition of using a .es domain and other tax implications. Besides licensing of gambling operators, the Act also regulates the advertising and promotion of gambling and gambling operators, providing that such activities are subject to an authorization process.
Games and Software
The list of games offered in Spain is endless; this is because nearly all software providers have found a home in Spain. You will see giants such as Microgaming, Net Entertainment, Novomatic, and IGT as common features in many casinos with the help of midsized and small providers such as Vetsoft, Aristocrat, NextGen Gaming, Ezugi, and many more.
The most popular game genre in Spain, like the rest of the world, is slots. It will be hard to miss revolutionary titles such as Mega Moolah and Cash Splash, and also film franchise slots such as Hitman, The Dark Knight Rises, Hell Boy, and Lord of the Rings. Other games also enjoy similar popularity among the Spanish folk.
Casinos Accepting Euros
A conducive legal environment coupled with a widely used currency means that there are probably more online casinos in the Spanish market than the average gambler can visit. Spain enjoys the services of some of the best online casino operators in the world. Some of these are listed hereunder:
- Rizk Casino. Rizk Casino is best known for bonus features, promotions, and its various jackpot games. The Casino offers a deposit bonus of up to 300% on the first deposit promotions that offer monetary rewards of up to 777 Euros and 50 free spins to use on jackpot games upon registration. Rizk is powered by Microgaming, Net Entertainment, and NextGen Gaming, so you can expect a variety of popular titles across all casino game genres and then some more.
- Casino Euro. Casino Euro boasts of over 39,000,000 Euro paid jackpot games in its collection. Players are eligible for bonuses and promotions for depositing and signing up. Casino Euro runs daily promotions where lucky customers can win between 1,500 Euros and 2,000 Euros. Apart from these amazing features, the impressive portfolio is crowned by a selection of top-shelf games from a host of software developers including Leander Games, IGT, Novomatic, Scientific Games, Evolution, Microgaming, Aristocrat, NetEnt, Betsoft, Ezugi, and many others.
- 888 Casino. This is one that needs no introduction to punters out there. Already established in many gambling destinations, 888 Casino is a leader in the online gaming industry. It is licensed by Gibraltar and therefore, available for Spanish nationals. Majorly powered by Net Entertainment and Williams Interactive software, there is an abundance of quality games to select from. 888 Casino also has amazing bonus offers including a 100% match of the customers’ initial deposit, 1500 Euros for a week of playing, 300 Euros to use on the casino’s “21” game, and the 888 Casino Bonus for 26 lucky players.
- William Hill Casino. William Hill is licensed by Gibraltar and accepts Spanish nationals too. This casino stands out for a no deposit bonus of 1,000 free spins, up to 150% match on the first deposit upon downloading the casino software, 100% match on the first deposit, and 10 Euros guaranteed for any customer in Europe. William Hill has one of the fastest cash out times among other casinos in its ranks.
- Bet 365. Bet 365 is regulated by Gibraltar as well. It is known for its Live Casino feature, which offers a 0.8% weekly rebate to its customers. Players at Bet 365 also get to enjoy multiple gaming venues in a single account. Besides a robust loyalty program, new players also get a 400 Euro bonus upon registration.
- Bonuses Offered. Besides the staple bonuses offered at many casinos, each casino customizes their bonuses to suit their customer preferences. The above-listed casinos sample the range of bonuses offered at the casinos.
- Payment Methods. A wide variety of methods are accepted in Spain. However, they vary between different casinos. The most popular methods include credit/debit cards, bank transfer, e-wallets and other internationally recognized methods. A majority of the transactions are carried out using Euros, although other major world currencies are also accepted.
- Gaming on Mobile. Many casinos have optimized their games and software to be adaptable for mobile gaming. HTML-5 platforms enable most modern mobile devices to enjoy long hours of uninterrupted play.
- In Summary. The evolving Spanish market could see a revolution in the online gaming industry with the introduction of gaming culture and business norms. Spain is a welcoming market to all punters across the globe.