Slot machine games are without a doubt the most popular gambling indulgent in both the online and offline casino industry. Invented in the 1870s by Charles Frey, these gaming machines feature a flashy appearance that works to attract numerous players to indulge in them, which is the reason why most casinos place them as the center of attraction. On top of that, slots come with straightforward gameplay that is quite easy to grasp. Therefore, most new players head for slot games when they join a casino more than any other game. The only thing that is required when playing slot games is to place a wager, spin the reels, and wait to see if a winning combination has been acquired.
Aspects of Popular Slot Games
In the slot game category, there are a couple of slots that have managed to gain a larger following than the rest. This attraction is brought by a couple of aspects that are quite noticeable with these slot machines. They include:
- High Payout Rates. Each slot game is developed with a Return To Player rate that is used to determine how much a player is bound to win if they indulge in the game for long. RTP rates, as they are commonly referred to, are given in the form of percentages. Therefore, for instance, if a slot has an RTP rate of ninety-seven percent, the payout rate is as follows: Placing a wager of one hundred dollars on this slot means that they [the players] are bound to receive ninety-seven dollars back when they play for a while.
Slots with high RTP rates tend to attract more players because their payouts are better than those that have low ones. Slots with RTP rates that are higher than ninety-six percent are considered worth gambling in.
- Exciting themes. Themes are the stories that slot games are built around. They help make the game about more than just staking money and spinning the reels. Online gaming software developers strive to make the themes they use as exciting as possible so that they can take the player on an adventure. The themes can be based on ancient civilizations, earth elements, celebrities, popular films, and even major historical events such as the World Wars.
- Jackpots. Most gamblers indulge in slot games for the money wins as much as it is for fun. Therefore, it is no surprise that most of them would play in those that offer big money wins. Players are especially known to indulge more in progressive slots than fixed ones. Since the amount offered in progressive jackpots is pooled from all players who make winnings from the slots involved, the amount can reach soaring heights. Some slots such as Mega Moolah, Break Da Bank, and Bank Slot have had their jackpots reach millions of dollars in some of the casinos that offer them.
- Software developers. The reputation of an online gaming software developer plays a huge role in determining how well a slot does on the market. Some big names on the market have their slots reach massive popularity heights within just a short time of their release due to the prolific name they have made for themselves in the industry.
Breaking The Most Popular Slot Games
Now that we have touched on the various features that make some of the most popular slots fall into this category, let’s take a look at some of these sets:
Having been labeled the most beautiful woman in the world and existing as a reincarnation of an Egyptian goddess, it is no surprise that Queen Cleopatra would have numerous slot games based on her. The most popular take on this beauty is the one by International Game Technologies, which bears the same name as this last ruler of the pharaoh dynasty. The game was first developed for brick and mortar casinos. With time, the slot game became so popular that an online version was demanded, and it saw a sequel suffice.
Unlike the brick and mortar casino version of the game that comes with three reels, the online version of this classic slot bares five reels. The reels are placed in three rows and have twenty win lines running through them. The slot bares numerous relics that are attached to Egyptian culture, with Cleopatra and the famous Sphinx standing as the wilds.
These wilds award gamblers with free spins that are played continuously immediately they are acquired. If another set of wilds is matched during the freebies round, another set of free spins is awarded. This will continue until all freebies are depleted. The player can be awarded as high as one hundred and eighty free spins, which makes the payout quite lucrative. This slot also comes with a chance at a jackpot that is triggered by matching five mega jackpot icons on the center reel.
Monopoly is a board game that became quite popular in the twentieth century and was used to strategically educate on the degrading effects on society thanks to the monopolization of land by private entities. Since software developers have been known to use anything that grows popular with people, some developers like Williams Interactive, Barcrest Games, and Gamesys adopted it as a theme for some of their productions.
One of these slots that have managed to be quite big is Monopoly Here and Now by International Game Technologies. This slot has twenty win lines running through five reels, and a single spin can accommodate as much as two hundred and fifty coins; this makes it conducive for both low and high rollers. The game is dotted with various bonus features such as wilds, freebies, and bonus rounds that are triggered by various characters.
Popular Slot Software Developers
Most online gaming software developers have slot games as their biggest collection, seeing that these games have a high demand. Some of these slot developers have managed to gain the attention of gamblers with their production of some of the best slots. Some of these gaming companies include:
- Novomatic has been in the industry since the age of location-based gambling and served numerous brick and mortar casinos. However, it was not until 2011 when an online platform of the same was developed. Some of the popular slots by this developer include Sizzling Hot, Ultra Hot, and Safari Heat.
- Microgaming has been in business since 1996, which makes it among the first software providers to join the online gambling platform. Some of the popular slots that are under its wing include Mega Moolah, Immortal Romance, Avalon, and Bridesmaids.
- Net Entertainment has excelled in all gaming areas including slots, table games, and live dealer casinos. Some of the NetEnt slots worth mentioning are Vegas Party, Dracula, Starburst, Dead or Alive, and Jimi Hendrix.
- Ash Gaming. Established back in 2002, this developer is best known for its provision of free spins to players. Some of its popular slots are King Arthur, Space Invaders, and Viva la Vegas.
- William Interactive was established in 1941 and hit the online market in 1997. Zeus, Alice in Wonderland, and Spartacus are some players’ favorites from this provider.
- Playtech was founded in 1999 and has since grown to encompass a wide following. Rocky, King Kong, and Gladiator are some of the slots that have contributed to this popularity.
Most popular slot games have been made available on mobile devices that run on popular operating systems such as Android, iOS, Windows, and Blackberry. The gameplay can be conducted in either download or instant play form.