Back to the Roots
Back in the 1900s, the popularity of slots was in its full regalia, but there was a problem. The gaming variety was only featured in legally recognized gambling arenas. This limited the access to the much sought-after game and hence the need to incorporate it into the UK market arose. And in 1960 a window popped up. In a bid to incorporate slots in UK public avenues, the game had to not only incorporate a skill but also eliminate the payout factor. Just like that the ‘Fruit Machine UK’ was born.
But one may wonder why the title ‘Fruit Machines’? The gaming variety was characterized by fruit symbols that took the place of card icons that featured heavily in the first slot game. From bars, pubs, amusement arcades and other popular hotspots, fruities did not fail to appear. There was no stopping this new sensation, and it is no wonder the advent of online gambling (in 2007 to be specific) saw this variety surge through the industry with a bang!
With multiple gamers getting wind of the fruit machines, software developers are making an effort in producing more varieties. That said, let us dive into the various types of fruities you can stumble upon at multiple gambling arenas.
Fruit Machines’ Variants
- CAT Machines – To kick as off, we have the CAT machines. In essence, these are the games that feature jackpot prizes that range from £100 to a whopping £500. Yes, the term jackpot gets everyone excited, and in that case you can play CAT B3A, CATB4, CAT CAWP, Voodoo Party and Hot Hot Super Respins to try out your luck. Who knows, you might be the next jackpot winner.
- Giant Money Fruit Machine Games – despite the fact that this variety ceases to exist in many gambling platforms, we thought it appropriate to list it here. A popular Bally Manufacturing Co. trademark, Great Money Fruit Machines did not lack a spot at UK pubs in the late 70s and early 80s. Their thrilling sensation has seen them sieve into the online gambling community in the form of classic slots.
- The One Armed Bandits – back in the day, slots relied on a tugged-lever to set the reels in motion. This explains the ‘one-armed bandit’ title. However, technology has deemed these games extinct, but some companies still include the lever for aesthetic purposes. Examples of these gaming variety include the 25 Cent Mills Novelty Golden Doll Hi-Top One-Armed Bandit machine and Aristocrat Automatics Ace of Clubs and Aztec Gold.
Then there is the denomination slot variety. Ranging from penny, nickels, quarters and dollar slots. Talk of multiple variants.
Unique Gaming Features
Why settle for fruit machines at the expense of other slot variants? For starters, fruities are very popular in the UK gambling community, and we can help you comprehend why. Unlike other slots, fruities require certain gaming skills that enhance winning possibilities considerably. What’s more, they are characterized by unique features that include:
Lemons, cherries, oranges, purple grapes and melons, some of the icons you will encounter in almost any fruit machine both online and land-based. However, with the onset of the games online, Bars, Lucky 7s and the Liberty Bell are highly featured in today’s modern variants.
Hold and Nudge Feature
We had earlier mentioned that fruit machines needed to be skill-based in a bid to be accepted in the UK industry. Well, if there is a feature that can illustrate the need for gaming skills in these games is the hold and nudge feature.
When we say ‘hold’ we literally mean holding one or two reels in place in hopes of landing icons similar to the first reel. For instance, let’s say the first reel presents a cherry symbol. Naturally, an experienced gamer will hold the second and third reels with hopes of landing two more cherries.
On the other hand, the nudge allows you to move one or two positions up/down the reels. Get this, you can only apply the nudge and hold feature at random, therefore keep your eyes peeled each time you are playing for it can come quite handy.
Fruit Machines Bonuses
- Trail Bonus. Triggered randomly, the trail bonus allows you to follow a collection of prizes by consecutively landing a winning combination. Multipliers, cash, nudges, and repeats – some of the great tokens up for grabs each time you partake in this extravaganza!
- Hi-Lo. Are you familiar with the gamble option in slot games? If yes, you will not have a hard time figuring this out for this feature allows you to predict whether the next number on the screen will be higher or lower than the one currently on screen. As expected, a correct prediction will lead to a reward while a wrong one leaves you empty-handed.
How to Play Fruit Machines
Keeping in mind that fruit machines are a variation of online slot games, it is not surprising that their gameplay is quite similar. For starters, you need to register at a legal gambling site. The next steps are downright simple, but hey, we will not hesitate to list them:
- Deposit cash into your online casino
- Select the game you want to play and proceed to place your wager.
- Lastly, click on the ‘Spin’ button to set the game in motion.
The goal is to land similar icons on the one and only payline. Therefore, good luck and have fun!
It’s undoubtedly clear that the video slots category is the crowd’s favorite in both land-based and online casinos. This comes as no shocker for they feature jaw-dropping graphics, realistic sound effects, astounding animations and offer very high payouts. Nonetheless, fruities hold their classical title and present a laid-back form of entertainment that video slots can dream of. If you have not yet started your fruit machine gaming experience, what are you waiting for?